Board Nomination Process
Each year the AANEM Nominating Committee seeks Board of Director candidates to present for election at the annual meeting, as well as candidates for the Nominating Committee. To nominate yourself or colleagues, please complete the form by February 12, 2018.
The current list of AANEM Board of Directors
can be viewed online. The Nominating Committee will provide the nominations to the membership for vote at the annual meeting in the fall.
What Is the Call for Nominations?
The call for nominations starts the process of choosing the officers and directors of the AANEM Board. The AANEM Board:
- Applies business judgment in the best interests of the association on behalf of its members
- Has responsibility for governance, control and oversight, as well as participation in the preparation and approval of the strategic plan
- May exercise its authority directly or through committees
- Provides direction, advice and counsel to the executive director and staff
Who Is Eligible to Participate?
Fellow and Active members of the AANEM are eligible to be a candidate for the positions.
What Are the Requirements?
- Candidates for president typically have previously served on the AANEM Board of Directors. The nominated President rotates between neurology and physical medicine and rehabilitation (PMR).
- Candidates for the secretary/treasurer typically have previously served on the AANEM Board of Directors. The position rotates between neurology and physical medicine and rehabilitation.
- Candidates for member at large positions have typically previously served on committees, often as the chair. AANEM committee chairs participate at the Spring and Fall Board meetings.
- Board members are expected to attend three Board of Directors meetings per year (Spring, Fall, and Winter). The President, President Elect, Past President and Secretary/Treasurer are expected to attend a Finance Committee meeting and monthly conference calls. All Board members must respond to email Board votes in a timely manner throughout the year.
- In addition to Board meetings, Board members may be asked to make occasional trips in support of the association’s strategy (all AANEM-sponsored travel is reimbursed by AANEM).
How Do I Submit a Nomination?
Members may nominate themselves or someone else they deem qualified to serve on the Board. Use the nomination form to submit your nominations.
What Happens to the Nominations?
All forms and supplemental materials will be reviewed and evaluated by the AANEM Nominating Committee. The Nominating Committee reviews the candidates and puts forward one candidate for each position to present to the members at the Annual Business Meeting held annually during the AANEM annual meeting. The primary consideration in developing the slate presented at the Annual Business meeting is selecting the candidates best qualified for the position and most able to help AANEM achieve its strategic objectives. Nominations may be made from the floor during the meeting.
Attributes of Board Members
Attributes that the AANEM is looking for include:
Vision, Mission, and Values
- Able to think strategically
- Driven to achieve results
- Able to build strong working relations internally and externally, and serve as an influencer to same
- Maintains understanding and awareness of professional and business issues pertinent to AANEM’s members
- Exemplifies personal integrity
- Demonstrates leadership