Are you looking for an opportunity to learn manuscript review skills and promote the latest research? Applications are now being accepted for a 1-year position on the Muscle & Nerve
Editorial Board to be filled by a resident or fellow. In this position, you will be mentored each month by an associate editor to help you refine and develop your manuscript review skills. The application deadline is March 16, 2018.
Crystal J. J. Yeo, MB, BChir, PhD, MRCP(UK), is currently serving in this role for 2017-2018 and is the first trainee to serve on the Muscle & Nerve Editorial Board.
“It has been a remarkable and rewarding experience working with and learning from the editors on the intricacies of the submission and peer review process,” said Dr. Yeo. “I have enjoyed working with AANEM and Wiley publishers on managing the global outlook for the journal and its readership. Another aspect of the job I’ve enjoyed is working to enhance the discoverability and interest in journal articles by monitoring journal performance and using social media. It is a great educational experience and an excellent opportunity. I’d definitely encourage other residents and fellows to apply for this position.”
The resident or fellow selected to fill this position will:
- Begin work in this role on July 1, 2018. The term on the Editorial Board will end on June 30, 2019.
- Receive a free AANEM membership and a free 1-year subscription to Muscle & Nerve.
- Attend the annual meeting of the Muscle & Nerve Editorial Board, held during the AANEM annual meeting – October 10-13, 2018, in Washington, DC.
- Meeting registration fees will be waived
- A stipend of up to $1,000 will be provided to cover other expenses
- Collaborate with AANEM and with Wiley (Publisher of Muscle & Nerve) to post journal articles to social media (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, etc.) that are likely to be of interest to trainees, AANEM members at large, as well as the wider medical community or general public.
- Learn how to review submitted manuscripts. To accomplish this, the trainee will be assigned on a rotating (monthly) basis to an associate editor. The trainee will engage in two primary processes for learning:
- Confidentially read through several reviews per month that are selected by the associate editor for teaching purposes, followed by discussion of these reviews (online or by audio or video communication) with the associate editor.
- Write reviews of these articles assigned by the associate editor. Each review will then be critiqued and modified by the associate editor who assigned it, and may be sent to the editor-in-chief for dissemination to the author as part of the Decision letter on the manuscript if the quality is sufficient to warrant this.
- Must be a current resident or fellow
- No experience is required; however, those with previous scientific, medical writing, and/or editing experience are particularly encouraged to apply
- 1 year commitment to the Editorial Board.
- Willingness to commit up to 10 hours per month.
- Willingness to attend the AANEM annual meeting and Muscle & Nerve Editorial Board meeting.
To apply, send a brief statement of interest, including any previous medical or scientific writing, editing, or research experience, by Friday, March 16, 2018, to Zachary Simmons, MD, Editor-in-Chief, Muscle & Nerve, at email@example.com